Case Study: Manchester City FC
Market Feasibility, Premium Sales, and Hospitality: Premium and Public
Manchester City Football Club invested over £200m in players, which led to winning the 2011-12 Premier League Championship and provided a platform to raise the profile of the club. They had a desire to find more corporate buyers and expand the reach of their base into new markets including London.
Legends was selected to conduct the feasibility study to determine the potential support for a stadium expansion and enhanced premium seating & hospitality areas. The results of the study led to a stadium expansion completed for the start of the 2015-16 Premier League season and the development and pricing strategies for several new hospitality offerings within Etihad Stadium. Legends is also accountable for the management and execution of selling the newly created Joe’s and 93:20 premium seating areas. Legends created a unique partnership with One Event Management to form Fabulous Fan Fayre, which is responsible for the general concessions and hospitality catering.
- Established a 360 degree relationship with Legends Global Planning, Global Sales and Hospitality
- Developed a Sales Center for selling the newly created products which converts into an additional hospitality sales opportunity on game day
- Developed strategic plan and timeline for the season sales campaigns
- Hired and trained a new sales team with a focus on proactive outbound sales. This also applies to the non-match day sales team
- Identified, hired, on-boarded and trained over 1,200 culinary staff with a second year retention rate of 67%
- Joint efforts have led to an increase in sales and occupancy in premium
- Worked closely with team to re-engineer menus, service philosophy and concessions locations within both the existing stadium facilities and the South Stand expansion which sees over 6,000 new seats and 3 premium concourse lounges
- Named Best in Football Hospitality for 2013 at the Football Business Awards, Media Choice winner 2014 at the Stadium Experience Awards, Best Match day Hospitality in the Premier League Visit Football Survey for 2015
- For the 2013-14 season MCFC saw their overall Hospitality score rise from 78.83% to 81.68%. Rise is mainly attributed to the Food & Drink and Bar/Drinks Service. Season 2013 MCFC received a Food & Drink score of 77.37%. Season 2014 it was 90%. Season 2013 MCFC received a Bar/Drinks Service score of 65.00%. Season 2014 it was 81.82%*. These increases were reflected in 21% increase in revenue which saw spend per head break £3.03 in general concourse areas. Overall 2015 saw a solid maintaining of these percentages across the board with some marginal gains
- Achieved 134% of budgeted seasonal sell thru rate for new premium seating areas (Joe’s and 93:20)
- Sold over 2,300 new season tickets, a 94% sell thru rate, in the new premium seating areas (Joe’s and 93:20)
*2013-14 Season VISITFOOTBALL EPL annual Hospitality assessment