Case Study: Yankee Stadium
Hospitality: General Concessions, Premium Clubs/Restaurants, Suites, Special Event Catering and Merchandising
When the new Yankee Stadium opened in 2009, it was an instant icon. The mission was clear as we had to install all of the traditional elements of the old stadium, but with a modern flare and visionary stadium amenities. The stadium is equipped with multiple private club areas, cooking capability in approximately 70% of the concessions areas and more than 425 points of sale. This capability has allowed Legends to define a new standard for the premium ballpark dining experience, deliver the freshest and hottest concessions food and keep lines shorter allowing the Guest to get back to their seats and enjoy the game. Over 250 culinarians work in 17 kitchens where food is prepared from scratch to provide the freshest quality ingredients and menu selections on a daily basis. Menus are rotated every day to enhance guest satisfaction and satisfy even the most discriminating palette. Legends also delivered exciting new innovation to the stadium including:
- A steady program of celebrity chefs preparing signature dishes in the club areas.
- An in stadium butcher shop (Lobel’s) and a Lobel’s branded freshly sliced dry aged NY Strip Steak sandwich.
- Ala minute dining in restaurants and suites.
- A candy wall in the Legends Club with an ever-changing mix of new and classic treats.
- A Pastry Kitchen featuring home-made gelato.
- Permanent Women’s Merchandise Store and Monument Park Merchandise Store locations with expanded and specialized product selection.
- Embroidered hats, custom jerseys, laser engraved baseball bats and a large assortment of game used merchandise.
These food and merchandise innovations were coupled with a maniacal focus on the Guest Experience. The front-line staff (largely relocated from the old Yankee Stadium) is continually trained to deliver the seven pillars of Legends’ Customer Service program. This training is reinforced with a positive reward and recognition program and bolstered with daily guest satisfaction and secret shoppers surveys with feedback delivered real-time to front line management.
- More than a 25% increase in Per Cap Revenue from the old Yankee Stadium and the Highest Per Cap Revenue in MLB
- More than a 35% increase in Guest satisfaction with F&B from the old Yankee Stadium with consistently high marks across all categories of the Guest Experience
- Growth in Per Capital revenue each year while holding/growing Guest satisfaction levels
- Named MLB Retailer of the Year in 2009 and 2012
- Three-time (’09, ’10 and ’13) winner of Five Star Diamond Award