Local Eats at Golden 1 Case Study
RE-DEFINING CONCESSIONS AT GOLDEN 1 CENTER
The Sacramento Kings were hungry for an elevated food and beverage experience for the inaugural season at Golden 1 Center. With an aim to be the most sustainable sports arena in the world, the food it served needed to meet those high standards. The Kings team envisioned a new food program that celebrated Sacramento as the “Farm to Fork Capital” of the nation, showcasing the delectable bounty of the region. To make it happen, they looked to Legends Hospitality to make it happen.
Legends Hospitality set to work transforming food services at Golden 1 Center through a program guided by a 10-point sustainability and sourcing charter. The overarching goal was to source 90% of all culinary ingredients to be served from within 150 miles of the arena. To meet their two year launch target, the Legends team established a supply chain through strategic partnerships with local producers and restaurants. Legends partnered with General Manager & Executive Chef Michael Tuohy to cultivate the program, resulting in the “Local Eats” manifesto at Golden 1 Center. It comprised of:
- A specialized culinary team that creates crowd-pleasing menus in-house, using all of the great locally-sourced products
- 16 unique “Local Eats” stands, 40 portable carts, five club lounges & 82 suites.
- Locally-sourced beverages, featuring, local wines, beer and artisan spirits
- Green waste program – via a partnership with California Safe Soil which re-processes waste into nutritious fertilizer for soil
- Food bank support: Sacramento Community Food Bank & Family Services ensures prepared foods are never wasted
Upon launch in October 2016, “Local Eats” became the most unique, locally-sourced program offered at any sports and entertainment venue in the country. In fact, the Kings have made it one of the major selling points of Golden 1 Center. The Local Eats model, created by Legends Hospitality, set a new bar for food and beverage offerings in the sports and entertainment space.